This recipe comes courtesy of my mother, who bakes the best muffins in the world. Of all the varieties that my mom makes, this one tops the list as my very favorite. They are soft, slightly sweet and healthy (so I don’t feel guilty when I eat 4 at a time).
Recipe (from my mother, Carolyn Pexton)
Makes 4 Dozen
4 cups quick-cooking oat
4 cups nonfat plain yogurt or buttermilk
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup vegetable oil
8 tablespoons molasses
4 teaspoons vanilla
8 egg whites
4 cup all-purpose flour
6 teaspoons cinnamon
4 teaspoons baking soda
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoon salt
8 peaches, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray medium muffin cups with
nonstick cooking spray.
2. Mix oats and yogurt (or buttermilk) in bowl. Beat in brown sugar,
oil, molasses, vanilla and egg white.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients, except peaches, just until flour is
moistened. (Mixture will be lumpy.) Fold in peaches.
4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle with sugar if
5. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately
remove from pan.